Monday, March 28, 2011

So, I had to write an essay AKA Work-Life Balance

So, I had to write an essay... thing... for one of my classes. It was based on a few essential questions responding to a Computerworld article that we had read. I might have gotten a little carried away, I sound like I've been reading too much Zen Habits (I don't know if too much is possible, but I do read a lot there...). Anyway, it amused me enough that I thought I'd post it. And here you have it...


Work-Life Balance

My current work/school/life balance is undergoing significant change as of this week. I will address this discussion as of last week and the first half of the semester and talk about what led to the current changes. Today, Monday, is my first day unemployed/ being only a full-time student in several years. Prior to this weekend, I have been working 20 hours a week in an IT position, finishing my CIT Independent Learning courses, working on several bi-terms classes, working on one full-term class, trying to keep up a house solely by myself, attempting to take care of myself mentally and physically (sleep?!, what’s that?), planning for graduation, planning a wedding (not to mention trying to find time to spend together), preparing to move, and looking for a job in new location. It has been literally impossible to do everything, on a scale of one to ten, I felt like I was at about a 9; something had to give.

I would say I took the advice of the first suggestion listed in the article, Ten Tips for Achieving a Better Work/Life Balance, to establish and maintain my own priorities. Once I realized that my work/school/life balance was insane, I took a look at my options and had some serious discussions with the important people in my life. While the article is suggesting maintaining one’s priorities to realign work tasks, etc, I took it a step farther and put in my two weeks notice. As my position was considered that of a student worker, I would have found myself unemployed upon graduating in a matter of 7 weeks or so, anyway. Due to this and other personal factors, my fiancĂ© and I decided it was in my, and our, best interest for me to go ahead, quit my current job, focus on finishing out my classes, and start the task of looking for post-graduation employment. This priority change comes with the obvious downside of several months of serious penny-pinching, but we both feel this is worth dealing with for the benefit of my sanity.

Beyond this, I will still be in need of balancing personal work, school, and the impending rest of my life. A suggestion that I’m going to recommend to myself, and anyone else facing similar days of “unstructured time,” is to create and stick to a daily routine that will form constructive habits and have some semblance to “normal life.” This is appropriate for me, personally, because I know myself well enough to know that I would quickly slip into habits such as going to bed at 2-4 AM, getting up at noon, never really getting dressed, and procrastinating on homework worse than ever. To implement this suggestion, I started this morning, as this is Day One of my new plan, by getting up at an acceptable time, writing down the specific things that I did and making a list of things that I wanted to accomplish (actually make the bed, cook breakfast, get dressed (whether I plan to go anywhere or not), read for X amount of time, make x number of posts, etc). Tomorrow I plan to look at what I did today, tweak my daily timeline where necessary, and focus on making constructive habits out of my daily routines. I feel this will help me gain control of my unbalanced life and continue to accomplish my work/school/life priorities.

No comments: